Advanced search  

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Would Rex follow order 66.....  (Read 8260 times)

chris0013

• Crewman
Would Rex follow order 66.....
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:57:50 am »
After last weeks episode (The Deserter) and Rex's experiences with Cut Lucain (sp?) do you think Rex would blindly follow Order 66 or would he rebel?

I think if he was serving with Ahsoka that he would rebel and try to protect her.

"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching."

Sharlin

• Adult Member Group
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Sharlin War Cruiser
Re: Would Rex follow order 66.....
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:22:45 am »
Normally you would be right, but that order is programmed into them when they were cloned,
as a result i think it would be impossible for them to refuse it, they may hate doing it but they would be compelled to obey.

I plan on living forever, or die trying.
Vila, Blakes 7

Oomar Galor

• Adult Member Group
  • Senior Crewman
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 08:25:50 am »
Normally you would be right, but that order is programmed into them when they were cloned,
as a result i think it would be impossible for them to refuse it, they may hate doing it but they would be compelled to obey.
>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<

Sharlin,
True, but in (the book) Order 66 there were clones that didn't follow the order. Some to the extream of helping some of the Jedi. As for Rex ...  :-\  ...  :-\  ... that is a toss up. I think I will have to see more of the Clone Wars, or the final episode, to make a call on this.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:04:37 am by Oomar Galor »

-Matthew

50Stone

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:09:57 am »
Depends which books you read and accept.

I follow the belief that they aren't programmed human clones but indoctrinated and superbly trained, they follow orders because they are soldiers.

Therefore those that have had an extended exposure to Jedi and civilisation at large would question such an order, especially the killing of what are in effect, children.

I also wonder about the Medstar ships which are basically hospital ships that have Jedi Healers aboard, would soldiers aboard kill they're own doctors and nurses who have spend considerable effort keeping them alive, it's something to think about.

I much better scene in RotS would have been Cody refusing and a Lieutenant giving the order over his head, but there are many questionable clone actions in that movie to start with so nevermind.

RPG Character - Sergeant Krais Marik, Pathfinder.
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/50stone/ - My Starwars Album

VOID

• Administrator
  • Master Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 04:19:53 am »
>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<

Which spoiler?

Oomar Galor

• Adult Member Group
  • Senior Crewman
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:15 am »
>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<

Which spoiler?

The book Order 66.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:05:08 am by Oomar Galor »

-Matthew

Tyranneix

• Adult Member Group
  • Senior Recruit
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:44:59 pm »
Clones aren't programmed.  They have 150 general orders for the Grand Army. Order 66 is one of them.  Just like Order 67 is the removal of the Chancellor.  Palps wasn't stupid.  He not only wrote the Orders, but also manipulated the Orders to destroy the Jedi.  He is a Sith after all.  That is also in the Republic Commando series, among other Clone Wars books.

As for Rex following Order 66, I think he would.  Not like he has to worry about Anakin though.  Anakin/Vader assaulted the Jedi Temple in Episode 3 with the 501st (the blue clones) and Rex is in the 501st (stated in the Clone Wars Episode Rookies).

50Stone

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:02:36 pm »
So you believe Rex would gun down Ashoka, if she had been Anakins Padawan at the time of Order 66?
Which she isn't of course.

Remember Commanders, ARCs and Commandoes aren't genetically altered to be more obedient, and I say MORE there as a completely obedient soldier isn't worth much if they can't think creatively, which is what makes them better than droids.

My opinion is that clones that served alongside and formed bounds with Jedi and even non-clone individuals who weren't obviously an absolute liability would think twice about following such an out of the blue order. Many might follow along with less bounded clones taking the first shots but I'd have liked the more advanced clones to at least ask for confirmation or reasons before blindly following orders.

It makes me imagine the guys in the Nuke silos launching armageddon without any kind of confirmation, or situational brief.

Also what about the possibility of someone sending falso orders to the Clones if they follow them so blindly.

Tyranneix

• Adult Member Group
  • Senior Recruit
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:45:34 pm »
So you believe Rex would gun down Ashoka, if she had been Anakins Padawan at the time of Order 66?
Which she isn't of course.

Remember Commanders, ARCs and Commandoes aren't genetically altered to be more obedient, and I say MORE there as a completely obedient soldier isn't worth much if they can't think creatively, which is what makes them better than droids.

My opinion is that clones that served alongside and formed bounds with Jedi and even non-clone individuals who weren't obviously an absolute liability would think twice about following such an out of the blue order. Many might follow along with less bounded clones taking the first shots but I'd have liked the more advanced clones to at least ask for confirmation or reasons before blindly following orders.

It makes me imagine the guys in the Nuke silos launching armageddon without any kind of confirmation, or situational brief.

Also what about the possibility of someone sending falso orders to the Clones if they follow them so blindly.

You bring up a very interesting point 50Stone.  However, let's look at another well known clone.  Commander Thire.  First episode showed Thire and Yoda on a mission together forming lasting partnerships, however, Epidose 3 shows Thire in the Senate chamber looking for Yoday to kill him.  Yes certain clones and clone commanders had the choice to follow Order 66 or not. 
Let's look at another clone, Commander Cody.  Cody has always been a comrade of Obi-Wan (anyone watching the Clone Wars series can see that).  However, once good ol Palps sends the Order (personally), Cody switches to soldier mode and follows his general orders.  He even says in the Novelization of Episode 3 "Why did that have to come after I gave him his lightsaber?"

There were clones that did not follow orders and asssited the Jedi in escape (reading Order 66 and the next book Imperial Commandos 501st, reveales that, as does the book, Dark Lord).  However all clones are slo included in Order 66 and are branded traitors to the new Empire.

As for Ashoka, well, we don't know what happens to her.  It's more than likely if she was killed during O66, she was probably killed by another clone commander and his clones.

The Battlefront 2 game that is about the 501st clones reveals also that the clones not only knew that Order 66 was gonna happen but some actually wished quick and painless deathes for their Jedi Commanders (they specifically refer to Aayla Secura and the clones wishing her a quick death once the order came down).

As for Order 66 being sent out... According to the Order itself it can only be sent out by the Chancellor.  That's why Palps contacts the Specific Clone Commanders and Arcs himself.  Only he can send out the order.

My only point was that the clones weren't so much programmed as they were trained and as such, they had a choice to follow the order or not.   

Enjoy! 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:48:23 pm by Tyranneix »

50Stone

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 07:09:49 pm »
All quite right and I concur with everything you've written.

I just lament the fact that GL used the Clones as such two dimensional, unthinking characters in the film then going back into the cartoons and emphasising how individual and free-thinking they can be. We see in the Cartoon, Clones disobey orders quite easily, they save the little girl on Ryloth, Rex as stated spares the deserter, but in the film they receive an out of the blue order to kill and not attempt to apprehend people they have fought and lived beside for years they follow it without asking why.

It's obvious to me that GL doesn't really worry too much about Continuity. at least of character but more about it being enteraining, he is a film maker so that's where is emphasis is, we just have to take what he gives us and try and make sense of it.

On a side note, why do you think Lucas the company care so much what they're authors can and can't write about when GL states himself that he doesn't consider anything else true canon unless he has put it on screen. He has said something to the effect "There's EU Star Wars and there's My Star Wars". Strange that.

chris0013

• Crewman
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 08:59:52 pm »
All quite right and I concur with everything you've written.

I just lament the fact that GL used the Clones as such two dimensional, unthinking characters in the film then going back into the cartoons and emphasising how individual and free-thinking they can be. We see in the Cartoon, Clones disobey orders quite easily, they save the little girl on Ryloth, Rex as stated spares the deserter, but in the film they receive an out of the blue order to kill and not attempt to apprehend people they have fought and lived beside for years they follow it without asking why.

It's obvious to me that GL doesn't really worry too much about Continuity. at least of character but more about it being enteraining, he is a film maker so that's where is emphasis is, we just have to take what he gives us and try and make sense of it.

On a side note, why do you think Lucas the company care so much what they're authors can and can't write about when GL states himself that he doesn't consider anything else true canon unless he has put it on screen. He has said something to the effect "There's EU Star Wars and there's My Star Wars". Strange that.

Because Lucas (the person) makes money off of it....

"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching."

Hase

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Crewman
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 11:05:30 pm »

Actually, we don't. Especially not as roleplayers. We can't of course "deny" George Lucas the right to set canon but we can choose to ignore it. We do that often in our RPG-Campaign. It's necessary anyways, every good campaign will drift away from the "canon" timeline as it progresses.

Tyranneix

• Adult Member Group
  • Senior Recruit
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 12:38:24 pm »
Agreed on all counts.  I love these discussions..

It gives me something to do while bored at work!  LOL

Sharlin

• Adult Member Group
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Sharlin War Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 04:43:13 am »

I totally agree, in the movies GL has made the clones out to be non-feeling automatons, but it is hard to believe that a clone who had worked with and made close friends with Ashoka would kill her just because he was told to do so, let alone massacre a load of children, even if they were trainee Jedi.

I plan on living forever, or die trying.
Vila, Blakes 7

Casual Observer

• Draftee
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 06:54:23 am »

GL is the best, AND the worst, thing to happen to SW.

Yes, the whole thing is Lucas' baby, but I despise how the man is narcissistic enough to believe he's the only one who can contribute to the story in a meaningful way.
Pages: [1] 2 3
« previous next »