Advanced search  

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: YT 1930  (Read 2516 times)

Legolas26

• Draftee
YT 1930
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:42:07 am »
Hey all.  This is my first post, so be kind please.  :D

So I\'ve been working on the YT-1930 and thought I would post my wip of the layout.  It\'s still rough, there\'s a lot of things that need cleaning up, but I wanted to get all the stuff inside and placed first, then work on the outside and all the lines that need to be cleaned.

Ummm, also, does anyone know hwo to rotate things, without them getting all distorted?  I\'ve tried in Paint and in CS2 but both programs distor the objects.  Anyways, here it is...

Exterior:

Interior:

kenposan

• Global Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
YT 1930
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:14:50 am »
First of all, welcome to the forums. We\'re always glad to see new members, especially when they bring a project with them.  :D

I like this ship and see a lot of potential in it. I agree there is a lot of cleaning up to do. The pics you posted look anti-aliased (fuzzy).

The first thing that is going to come up here is what resources did you use to develop your exterior/interior and how did you determine size.

As to rotating, sorry, you can\'t rotate without fuzziness happening. It\'s inherent in the system. But you can rotate and then redraw to de-fuzzy, if that makes sense. But there are better artists around here than I that can help you out on that.

The Ebon Hawk, or at least an "inspired by" is located around here somewhere.

Again, welcome!

I do not need to live forever to live once and to live completely.

Lucas

• Master Chief Petty Officer
YT 1930
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:18:45 am »
welcome to the SWDA Legolas.

thank you for taking an interest in our work.  I just have a couple of comments.

Generally, we will need to see reference material before we jump into a deckplan for any official ship.  If this was an original ship that you were designing from scratch that happened to be influenced by other designs, then that\'s completely fine and we would categorize it as original....but the moment it is an officially recognized ship, then we need to consider the sources.  First of all the reference sources for this ship begin with the Milennium Falcon and to date I have not been able to reconcile the dimensional data to arrive at a plausible size.

However, if you would like to assist in gathering data on that, I would be very pleased, as I\'m sure most people around here would be....as it is seriously a difficult ship to do justice.

Also, generally, before we make interior layouts of book canon ships, we try to reconcile the exteriors first....this ship is a partial exception due to it\'s design lineage, but the point still remains...there is only one view of this ship, and to adequately determine deck height and so forth, we need full orthos that are properly proportioned and in the correct alignment and scale.

Lastly, thanks for the Ebon Hawk drawing, but if you would like to look in the PC gaming WIP section of the forum, we already started on the Ebon Hawk some time ago and started finding the samer problems with that as with the Falcon.

Still, I appreciate the interest in sharing your work with us, but might I suggest starting with something smaller and perhaps easier to draw?  It is of course, up to you.

I hope that this doesn\'t intimidate you.  We all started somewhere and we are more than happy to help you out if you would like to learn the way we do things.

Thank you and best regards.
Lucas

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. - Carl Sagan

Legolas26

• Draftee
YT 1930
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:23:11 am »
Thanx for the welcome, it\'s very much appreciated.

I didn\'t see the Ebon Hawk before, so I\'ll go and take a look at it.  I remember seeing someone start it awhile back on one of the other deckplan forums, but never got arond to finishing it.  That\'s why I thought I would give it a try.  But if osmeone else is doing it, then by all means I\'ll defer.

As for sources and scaling the YT-1930, I\'ll see what I can address. Just a note though, I\'m not using the "official" 1930, as that one has a layout already (provided link on bottom of page).  Mine is a modified version, without the big cargo pods on the end, and as I work more on my own orthos, it\'s goign to be more or less identible to the Falcon, except of course the engines and having the cockpit in the middle, and some interior differences.

With regards to scaling, I\'m using the Millenium Falcon and the Outrider for all my scaling, and I have all the orthos in my head for now.  :)  Lik eI said though I\'m going to try and do them up on the computer, it just takes time.  

But for now, \'my\' version of the 1930 (without the big cargo things that hang off the side) is all one deck and has no stairs or raised decks; meaning the cockpit is the same height as the main hull and so is the rear and the engines, and so forth, just like the Falcon and the Outrider.  For scaling the actual layout image, I just kept resizing the original picture until my cockpit and the mandibles matched up with the Falcon.

As for some other peoples\' orthos, I found a few on the net :

http://drexfurlow.users2.50megs.com/yt1930.htm

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/attachments/3d-wips/28125d1173911873-corellian-yt-1930-freighter-composite.jpg

For my actual layout, I started with the picture below and worked from there.  I don\'t honestly remember where I got it from, but I\'ve been checking the net for the last 20 minutes to find it again without success. I might even have made it myself, but it was a looong time ago, and I honestly don\'t remember.  I\'m kind of thinking I got the original from one of the RPG books or I used the b/w picture from above, and used the outline and filled in the insides myself. I know the original picture was b/w but I distinctly remember editting it a lot, adding the yellow background, removing the cargo pods, adding a guest room to the right, etc.  So from that I\'m sure I got the original from somewhere, I just don\'t remember where.  Anyways, here\'s my original picture that I\'m going off of and resized to match the Falcon:

As for the normal established interior, it\'s here:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/fc/Yt-1930-interior.jpg

Wolfe

• Petty Officer Second Class
YT 1930
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:12:58 am »
Ah yes, the Millenium Falcon clone from the WEG Wretched Hives of Scum and Villany book.

You won\'t find any actual info on a stock model unless WOTC makes them.
If this is of any remote help The Starbound Misfit listed stats:

losing faith in humanity one assclown at a time..
and sweet jeezs this planets loaded with them..

Legolas26

• Draftee
YT 1930
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 04:23:42 pm »
Thanks.  Those are the stats  used for my baseline, and changed or added to suit my version of it (less cargo space, changing the crew to 5 and passengers to 2, etc).

The way I had it laid it out for the crew, was that the two rooms on the left have bunk bed-type sleeping, so there\'s 2 people per room, plus the Captain so 5 total (4 people in the cockpit and an engineer in the back of the ship somewhere).  For the guest room, it would have a single bed and one that can pull down from the top like a bunk bed for an extra guest.

Si B Badd

• Senior Crewman
YT 1930
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:05:05 pm »
(post deleted by me, please >click here< for an explination)

Sorry

"For those who would be a Knight, and follow a King, follow me!"

RPG Character: Symon Jayce

VOID

• Administrator
  • Master Chief Petty Officer
YT 1930
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 09:23:24 pm »
Let\'s make this clear: There is no reason to wait with any YT ship before the YT-1300 unless it is actually directly and provenly related to the YT-1300. This nice little fragger here for example is not clearly related to the YT-1300. It looks like it is, but actually it is no more or less than the YT-1760.

Yes, it shares the same design philosophy and it has a distinctive CEC corporate identity. So do multiple generations of VW Golf, Mercedes or BMW, but neither of those share many (if any) components between model series.

So I think we should collect some indicators for whether or not it is directly related to the YT-1300 line. If something is not clearly defined, there is artistic license.  ;-)

Si B Badd

• Senior Crewman
YT 1930
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 09:28:33 pm »
Oh....(Feels like an idiot now)

I just posted my apologies to you and Lucas for posting an update on the SWDA scaled down version  :oops:

Klick

• Chief Petty Officer
YT 1930
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 09:34:08 pm »
I think we can do better than that official deckplan. There\'s a lot of wasted space and a few WEG-oddities (such as the location and identity of the escape pods). I do think we should use it for some inspiration, though.

Si B Badd

• Senior Crewman
YT 1930
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »
I think there are a lot of WEG oddities concernng escape pods in the YT series.

I had an idea that several one man escape pods were kept in a large storage area either side of the airlock door, and they shoot out of the airlock one by one, if you put two either side, on each side of the ship, then that would be enough for a crew of two, plus six passengers.

Seems the only viable option

Pages: [1]
« previous next »